27% watch live streaming daily, 45% watch online content daily: Chrome Data
Smartphone’s and other digital devices have instigated a new epoch of television/video consumption in India by transforming it into a personal media device. Empowered by on-the-go accessibility and greater control over their viewing experience, digital-savvy audiences in the country are increasingly inclining towards online content platforms over the traditional appointment-based viewing of the cable TV format. Live streaming, for instance, has also been in trend these days which is generally used to make any content viral or post some breaking news around the world, besides live video tools offer an opportunity to reach out to the audience in real-time.
Chrome Data Analytics & Media conducted a research to understand the online content consumption and live streaming content consumption pattern. The survey was conducted in metros between an age group of 15-44 years with a sample size of 872.
The survey constituted 44% females and 56% males of which 15% are students and 85% are working.
- 78% of the respondents are aware of live streaming and 88% of the respondents have watched content on live streaming
- 45% of the respondents watch online content daily whereas only 27% watch live streaming daily
- Breaking news followed by TV content is largely consumed in online content space
- 38% of the respondents prefer watching live streaming on YouTube, 37% on Hot Star whereas only 25% of the respondents watch live streaming on Voot
- People subscribed the paid live streaming apps primarily for sports
- A large part of the respondents that is 86% were satisfied with the video quality of Live streaming