ASCI upheld complaints against 113 out of 144 advertisements
In November 2014, ASCI’s Consumer Complaints Council (CCC) upheld complaints against 113 out of 144 advertisements. Out of 113 advertisements against which complaints were upheld, 61 belonged to Personal and Healthcare category, followed by the Education category with 33 advertisements.
HEALTH AND PERSONAL CARE:
The CCC found the following claims in health and personal care product or service advertisements of 58 advertisers to be either misleading or false or not adequately/scientifically substantiated and hence violating ASCI’s Code. Some of the health care products or services advertisements also contravened provisions of the Drug & Magic Remedies Act and Chapter 1.1 and III.4 of the ASCI Code. Complaints against the following advertisements were UPHELD.
1. Hindustan Unilever Ltd (Lifebuoy): The advertisement of Lifebuoy claims to provide “10 x more germ protection” and “10 x more skin care” than any other soap which was not substantiated.
2. Richfeel Health & Beauty Pvt Ltd (RichFeel Trichology Centre): The advertisement of RichFeel Trichology Centre claims to be the best hair transplant from the best hair care brand at the best price of Rs.55, 000.
3. Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (Goodknight): The advertisement of Goodknight shows “a child standing near the mosquito vaporizer”, whereas the product’s leaflet includes a precaution that the electrical liquid vapourizing machine should be kept away from the reach of children. The advertisement features a dangerous practice, manifests a disregard for safety and encourages negligence.
4. Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy Clinic: The advertisement of Dr Batra's Clinic claims to offer “Consultation with the Doctor and computerized hair test worth Rs. 2,000 now at just Rs. 250.”, “Limited period offer”, “Avail easy EMI options”, and the Website claims, “Confirm your appointment online @ Dr. Batra's clinic, Pay just Rs. 99/- and get products worth Rs. 175/- free.” “It also offers 10% off on treatment in its animation slides”, were not substantiated. The Website shows Dr. Batra promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Code of Medical Ethics for Homeopathy practitioners.
5. Richfeel Health & Beauty Pvt Ltd (RichFeel Trichology Centre): The advertisement of Richfeel Trichology Centre is in breach of code of medical ethics as the advertisement is soliciting patients and also mentions the names of Dr. Apoorva Shah and Dr. Ferrari, promoting the Clinic, which is in violation of the Central Council of Homeopathy Code of Ethics Regulations Clause II 6.1.
6. Dr. Batra’s Health Clinic: The advertisement of Dr. Batra’s Health Clinic claims to offer revolutionary hair growth treatment from France which is a painless and non – surgical treatment. They further state that 77% have seen hair growth results in just eight weeks.
7. Dr. Batra’s Homeopathy Clinic (B Perfect Batras): The advertisement of B Perfect Batras claims “BRTIM lose weight in every sitting from first session”, “no diet and no exercise”, “Assured results”, “lose upto 5-8 cms in four sessions”, were not substantiated.
8. CordLife Sciences India Pvt. Ltd: The advertisement of Cordlife claims to be Asia’s largest stem cell bank. The advertiser did not provide the market size in each country and the total market size in Asia to arrive at total market share data to establish that Cordlife is the market leader in Asia. The CCC concluded that the claim, “CordLife is Asia’s Largest stem cell bank”, was not substantiated.
9. Ishwar Ayurveda Pvt. Ltd (Nav Jivan Ras): The advertisement of Nav Jivan Ras claims that the product is effectively capable of treating various diseases like paralysis, joint pain, arthritis, cervical and any kind of headache. It also helps in developing positive energy in the whole body. It further claims to be the best, natural and efficient way of fighting various diseases. They claim that the product has been formulated around 100 years ago through ancient Vedic methods but now; the product has been modified by using modern Ayurvedic procedures. They also state “Nav Jivan Ras is a multi-beneficial product which makes body parts stronger”, which was not substantiated. The TVC shows Dr. Sagar Malik promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
10. AyurMana Centre for Advanced Healing: The advertisement of AyurMana Centre claims to help weight loss of up to 30 pounds in 4 weeks without starvation diet or strenuous exercise.
11. Lifespan Diabetes & Cardio metabolic Clinic: The advertisement of Lifespan claims “Diabetics are 50% more likely to have a heart attack”. This claim was not substantiated with data specific to the Indian population. Also, the claim was misleading by exaggeration.
12. Naturoveda Health World (Zilaxo Advanced Pain Solution): The advertisement of Zilaxo claims that their treatment procedures are “US FDA approved”, which is false and misleading.
13. Dr. M Shantha Kumar: The advertisement claims to reduce one’s weight by re-programming your mind (RRPM System), through a step by step program. It also claims that one need not follow diets, tiresome exercises, dangerous pills or fasting. They further claim that the RRPM Sysytem helps to gain new confidence and vitality as you get into the shape you want, permanently, with the use of the product for just a few minutes in a day or night to lose weight even while you are sleeping. They state that the product helps to get rid of those extra pounds quickly-and painlessly. The advertisement mentions Dr. M. Shantha Kumar promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Code of Medical Ethics.
14. Medihoney: The advertisement of Medihoney claims that body weight loss occurs only when metabolism in the body increases. The advertisement further explains that body weight gain occurs when there are excess calories in the body due to slower metabolism.
15. Fortius Herbal Clinic: The advertisement of Fortius claims that sexual conditions and diseases are curable. The advertisement states conditions and diseases such as erectile dysfunction, premature-ejaculation, infertility, impotency, loss of libido, STD and VD can be eradicated through herbs so that you can live your life with utmost joy.
16. Shiva Swasthya Shansthan (Ab Croon Capsules): The advertisements of Ab Croon Capsules claims to improve hormones and metabolism. The advertisement states that just reducing the sugar level is not useful in diabetes, thus, it claims to give freedom from diabetes.
17. Ashok & Company Pvt. Ltd (Pan Bahar Pan Masala) - The advertisement of Pan Bahar Pan Masala to be the world’s only award winning pan masala. Also, the TVC was in breach of the law as it did not carry the statutory warning.
18. Dalmia Continental Pvt Ltd (Hudson Canola Oil): The advertisement of Hudson Canola Oil claims “Mono unsaturated fat reduces risk of diabetes”, “Hudson Canola Oil is the world’s best value for money amongst heart-healthy oils”, “the fastest growing edible oil in the world”! In Canada, over 50% of the vegetable oil consumed is Canola, Japan’s usage rate is over 50% and Mexico’s is 25%. In the US and Australia, Canola is already the second most preferred oil”, “Canola is the best oil in terms of fat content, when looked at in totality: lowest saturated fat, very high MUFA, very high Omega-3, best balancing ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3, zero trans fats. No other oil offers this unique combination of fats!” These claims were not substantiated with clinical research data.
19. Daiveey Anusandhan Sansthan: The advertisement of Daiveey Anusandhan Sansthan claims magical treatment for joint pain through Ayurvedic medicine. Also, the TVC shows Vaidya Deepak Mishra promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Code of Medical Ethics.
20. Dr. Herb Tripod: The advertisement of Dr. Herb Tripod claims that herbs can cure anything, ranging from common cold to cancer, asthma, arthritis, baldness, diabetes, skin diseases and auto immune diseases without surgery. They claim 100% satisfaction guaranteed as well, also offering a return policy within eight weeks, for unsatisfied consumers who have taken the treatment for six weeks. A negligible (shipping and handling) fee is applied and the rest of money is refunded. They also state that renewal patients are not eligible as they already have experience with our success. These claims were considered to be false as they were not proven.
21. Blue Heaven Cosmetics: The advertisement of Blue Heavens Cosmetics shows a pillion rider (woman) without a helmet. Such commercials promote unsafe practices.
22. Vasudhan: The advertisement of Vasudhan claims to be India’s largest cosmetic laser centre.
23. Shrinivas Wellness (Shrinivas Tulsi Panchamrit): The advertisement claims that 2 drops of Tulsi Panchamrit keeps all the diseases away and gives longevity. The advertisement also claims that the product provides a protection shield against heart diseases, kidney problems, cancer, urinary diseases, diabetes, cough and cold.
24. Doctor House: The advertisement of Doctor House claims to get rid of addiction from afim – smak, alcohol, bidi, cigarette, gutka and tobacco. The advertisement shows Dr. K.S. Rajpurohit promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
25. Keya Seths Aromatherapy (Tetra): The advertisement of Tetra claims total complexion rejuvenation, prepared with an international formula. It father claims to make your skin becomes 4X fairer, brighter and spotless.
26. Organic India Private Limited (Organic Quinao): The advertisement of Organic Quinao claims to be recommended by nutritionists. This claim was not substantiated with supporting evidence.
27. Vaidacharya Marketing (Relief N Piles): The advertisement of Relief N Piles claims to be the panacea to get rid of piles. It further claims that patients will get relief from such a painful diseasewith their medicine, as their medicine has shown very effective results. The advertisement further states that piles patient can get immune from the disease and give a life time assurance. They claim that this has shown also shown good results abroad.
28. Medikom Healthcare (18 Plus Slimming Capsule): The advertisement of 18 Plus Slimming Capsule claims to reduce obesity with guaranteed results. It claims to reduce excess weight from one’s belly, waist - thighs, neck, chest, hands - legs and the extra fat near the arms cured from the roots. It is 100% ayurvedic treatment with no side effects.
29. Lavanya Pharmacy Pvt Ltd (Lavanya Ashwa): The advertisement of Lavanya Ashwa claims to be a reliable medicine for masculinity and provides complete physical and mental satisfaction.
30. Mohan Homeo Clinics: The advertisement of Mohan Homeo Clinics claims successful treatment of kidney diseases without any operation.
31. Om Sai Ayurveda India (Om Sai Ayurveda Products): The advertisement of Om Sai Ayurveda Products claims to help increase your height in 90 days or get the money back. It states that today almost 40% of the boys-girls are troubled by their small height as they believe that the height of a person cannot increase, or our height remains in a dormant position, which can be locomoted upto the age of 35 years with Ayurvedic Medicines. It states that the product provides nutrition to the glands by proper blood circulation in the body and gives sense to the height increaser hormone without any side effects and is GMP Certified.
32. Shivani Aushadhalay & Naturopathic Hospital: The advertisement of Shivani Aushadhalay & Naturopathic Hospital claims guaranteed treatment of leucorrhoea. It also claims increase or decrease of weight upto 10kgs in 1 month. They further claim treatment of diseases such as chronic nasal catarrh, ringworm, eczema, itching and all female and male diseases and infertility.
33. Greeenika (Greenika Nutri Vito Range): The advertisement of Greenika Nutri Vito Range claims to be a combination of natural ingredients, which is better than what we eat regularly and is comparatively cheap. Nutri VITO Complete Family claims that it not only helps in a child’s physical growth but mental development as well, and can be also used by adults without any hesitation. It also claims to stop cholesterol and keep one slim forever, is a boon for diabetics and stops weakness forever. It further claims to be 100% natural with no side effects and approved by the government.
34. Shathayu Ayurveda (Organic Wheat Grass Powder): The advertisement of Organic Wheat Grass Powder claims to help lose weight, controls blood sugar, cholesterol and prevents constipation. It also purifies the blood and improves circulation and boosts immunity.
35. Philips Electronics India Ltd (Philips Kerashine Styling Kit): The advertisement shows a girl on rear seat standing up while the vehicle is moving on the road. Thus, this advertisement encourages a dangerous practice and manifests a disregard for safety and is in violation of the Traffic rules.
36. Sresta Natural Bioproducts Pvt Ltd (Organic Tulsi Green Tea): The advertisement of Organic Tulsi Green Tea claims to have the most abundant catechin in green tea which is epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG). This compound is largely responsible for the antioxidant, LDL lowering and anti-cancer properties of green tea. They further claim that these catechins also stimulate the burning of fat in liver and muscles, thus aiding weight loss. It also helps lower LDL cholesterol and has proven anti-cancer properties.
37. Patanjali Ayurved Limited (Patanjali Dant Kanti Junior): The advertisement of Patanjali Dant Kanti Junior claims to be 100% SLS free. It claims that the product has natural herbs that would save children from brain cancer, blood cancer, stomach cancer, skin and bone cancer caused by SLS toothpaste.
38. Nasha Mukti Kendram: The advertisement of Nasha Mukti Kendram claims successful treatment for patients suffering from alcohol, ganja, bhang, smack, drugs, etc. addictions.
39. Advino Healthcare: The advertisement of Advino Healthcare claims “First time in India without operation and medicine treatment of pain”, and further states that “This treatment is certified by the world's most reliable institute (USFDA) and it has no side effects”.
40. EMC Super Specialty Hospitals Pvt. Ltd: The advertisement claims successful treatment of Parkinson’s disease which was not substantiated. Also, the advertisement shows Dr. Vikas Sharma promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
41. Jimmy Health Clinic: The advertisement of Jimmy Health Clinic claims 100% successful treatment of sexual problems such as premature ejaculation, impotency, masculine vigour, semen disease, undeveloped organ, less sperms, night fall, infertility. It also claims to increase weight and improve health permanently. Also, the advertisement shows Dr. Zed promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
42. Bhagyesh Health & Beauty Care Pvt.Ltd (Height Grow Capsule): The advertisement of Height Grow Capsule claims to be the best ayurvedic medicine that increases height with double speed. It claims to be the world’s No.1 product which increases height with speed and is now available in India, after Japan, China, America and Russia. It further claims to increase height by 5 inches in 3 months, or else the customer’s money will be refunded.
43. Height Grow Capsules: The advertisement of Height Grow Capsule claims to be 100% Ayurvedic with no side effects.
44. Nagmata Dawakhana: The advertisement of Nagmata Dawakhana claims definite treatment of diseases such as impotency, premature ejaculation, nightfall and semen in urine, inflammations, smallness, crookedness, syphillis, gonorrhea and leucorrhoea in women, irregular periods, infertility, hydrocele, piles, fistula, etc. with a lifetime guarantee.
45. Shree Krishna Aushadha: The advertisement of Shree Krishna Aushadha claims 100% solution for sex problems by their herbal treatment. The advertisement shows Dr. S.M. Kaushal promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Code of Medical Ethics for Ayurvedic practitioners.
46. Alfa Wellness: The advertisement claims to cure diabetes type – II, which occurs due to obesity. The claim that this can be cured by research products and food supplements of Dr. Pradeep Kumar and by adopting a balanced diet. It further claims to cure PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease).
47. Chappin & Nelson Homeopaths (Mica 7CH): The advertisement of MICA 7CH claims to get wonderful results to cure diseases such as of GIT, respiratory tract infections, male genitalia, hepatitis, tuberculosis, asthma, plague, erectile dysfunction, impotency, azoospermia, venereal diseases like EBV, HIV, lupus bronchitis, pneumonia, breast cancer and chronic hyperacidity, acne and vomiting with blood. MICA is also recommended for breathlessness due to chronic bronchitis, asthma, and even chest congestion. It further claims to completely cure TB, when taken in the initial stage of TB, rejuvenate the human mind, improve blood circulation, and improves the general tone of tissues and conductivity. They state that MICA is hematinic, which means increases the count of red blood cells, which also increases oxygen carrying ability of the cells. It is highly effective in cases of bone marrow depletion and hepatic dysfunction. It is listed in the Indian Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia as one of the most useful rare drugs.
48. Shri Sharma Ayurved Mandir (Fat Free Max Capsule): The advertisement of Fat Free Max Capsule claims in removing excess fat, and obesity.
49. Rajvaidya Shital Prasad & Sons (Rasayan Vati): The advertisement of Rasayan Vati claims that the tonic contains Kesar, Shilajit, Moti and Muesli which keeps men young and healthy. It increases energy, brings back youth and has been trusted for 60 years. Also, the advertisement’s claims, read in conjunction with the visual, imply that the product is meant for enhancement of sexual pleasure.
50. Jivo Wellness Pvt. Ltd. (Jivo Canola Oil): The advertisement claims that Canola oil consumption is the way to stay fit and fabulous. It prevents heart diseases, boosts memory, prevents cancer, relieves joint pain etc. It also states to be good for diabetes and reduces one’s waist line and is the world's most preferred healthy cooking oil.
51. Malpani Infertility: The advertisement of Malpani Infertility claims a guaranteed pregnancy programme. The Website shows Dr. Malpani promoting the clinic which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
52. Shapphire Health Care (Speed More Ayurvedic Capsule): The advertisement of Speed More Ayurvedic Capsule claims to improve stunted growth. It further claims that it is an ayurvedic capsule which is 100% natural and is GMP certified.
53. Curanum Healthcare Pvt Ltd (Dr. Health): The advertisement is in breach of code of medical ethics as the advertisement is soliciting patients and also shows pictures with the names of Dr. Pranjal Shamsher and Dr. Shahid Shamsher promoting the Clinic, which is in violation of the Central Council of Homeopathy Code of Ethics Regulations Clause II 6.1.
54. Looks Cosmetic Clinic: The advertisement of Looks Cosmetic Clinic claims to offer services such as help to lose upto 5 - 20 Litres fat, painless, stitchless and scarless FUE hair transplants for Rs 50/- hair.
55. Sterling Super Specialty Hospital: The advertisement of Sterling Super Specialty Hospital offers stem cell therapy for joint pain without surgery, medicine and any side effects.
56. Doctor Advice Company (Sikandar -E- Azam Capsules): The advertisement of Sikandar -E- Azam Capsules claims to be the world’s best in providing unbelievable power, strength, satisfaction and helps cure underdeveloped organs and masculine weakness, for rejuvenating sexual desire, providing energy and joy with a guarantee card along with the product.
57. Prince Pharma (2much Gold Capsules): The advertisement of 2much Gold Capsules claims to thicken the semen for a happy married life.
58. Amba Health Clinic: The advertisement of Amba Health Clinic claims to provide a healthy treatment to gain weight and helps alcohol addicts to get rid of alcohol without physically getting them to the clinic.
59. The Colors Bar: The advertisement of Colors Bar claims to help one’s skin become two or more tones whiter.
60. Yog Hari Clinic: The advertisement of Yog Hari Clinic claims to reduce obesity and excessive fat from the body, thus improve heath. The advertisement further claims that those who are weak can put on four kilograms of weight in 30 days.
61. Dr. Paresh Patel Remedies: The advertisement of Dr. Paresh Patel Remedies claims 100% freedom from insulin and no need to consume medicines for the rest of one’s life. It also claims highest success rate delivered by Dr. Paresh Patel as per World Medical Record. The advertisement shows Dr. Paresh Patel promoting the clinic, which is in violation of the Medical Council of India (MCI) Code of Medical Ethics Regulation, Clause 6.1.
The CCC found following claims in the advertisements by 33 different advertisers were not substantiated and, thus, violated ASCI Guidelines for Advertising of Educational Institutions. Hence complaints against these advertisements were UPHELD.
1. Arcot Sri Mahalakshmi Women's Institute of Management: The advertisement claims 100% employment in India and foreign countries. The claim was not qualified with the appropriate disclaimer.
2. Mahanadi Education Society (Raipur Institute Technology - RITEE): The advertisement of RITEE claims job guarantee or money back; super *conditions apply* which was not substantiated with supporting data.
3. Bright Career Academy: The advertisement of Bright Career Academy states “Job Assured on pursuing 3 month’s course” and “7+ Bands assured on undergoing IETLS 7 hours classes daily”, were not substantiated with supporting data.
Complaints against advertisements of all educational institutes listed below were UPHELD because of unsubstantiated claims that they ‘provide 100% placement/AND/OR they claim to be the No.1 in their respective fields’:
Ramanujan College of Management, Sakthi Institute Information and Management Studies, Kerala Small Industry Development Corporation Ltd (Kerala SIDCO), Shree Bhagwat Institute of Technology, Shri Maharana Pratap Pvt. ITI, Academy of Future Analysis (AOFA) College, Devsthali Vidyapeeth, IIHT Computer Education, Kallam Haranadhareddy Institute of Technology, K. K. Education Institute, Little Kingdom School, Lakshya Training Institute, Mother India Private ITI, SVKM’s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Orient Ocean Ship Management, Swami Vivekanand University, Apollo Computer Education, ACME College of Engineering, Asian Institute, S R Institute of Management Technology (SRIMT), Dolls N Dons, Institute of Technology & Management (ITM), Flora institute of Technology, Heritage Institute of Hotel Management & Tourism, Institute of Computerised Financial Accounting (ICFA), Ideal Eyes Business College, Modern Institute of Fire & Safety Engineering, Passion Acting Institute, Speakwell Enterprises Pvt. Ltd and Tirupati Pvt Industrial Training Institute.
1. Jasper Infotech P. Ltd (Snapdeal.com): Snapdeal had advertised on 6th Oct 2014 in The Times of India giving heavy discounts but while purchasing the products these products were not available and were sold out or the rates were higher while clicking the buy button. The claim of “Snapdeal bachaey raho discount offer” was false and was not substantiated.
1. Essar Group (The Mobile Store): The advertisement of The Mobile Store claims 0% interest EMI on products with or without credit card.
2. Sistema Shyam Teleservices Ltd (MTS 3G Plus TM): The advertisement claims that MTS 3G Plus TM network promises to consistently deliver strong average speed upto 9.8 Mbps. The test results presented by the advertiser were performed either under laboratory condition or under ideal condition in the field (viz near base station, midnight timing, no other users in the network etc. leading to good received signal strength and no load on the network) Thus, achieving the speed of 9.8 Mbps will never be experienced by a user except under ideal conditions. In the absence of a disclaimer qualifying the conditions under which the claim is tenable, the claims “top speeds of 9.8 Mbps” and “Speeds upto 9.8 Mbps” were considered to be misleading.
1. Godrej Consumer Products Ltd (Cinthol Deodorants): The advertisement shows alcohol-based deodorants being sprayed on ball pen art (art done by a ball point pen) resulting in the art getting dissolved. The advertiser seeks to instill fear in the mind of the consumers as if alcohol based deodorants can melt the human skin. Thus, the advertisement denigrates alcohol based deodorants.
2. Marathon Nexzone: The advertisement of Marathon Nexzone claims to offer a 2 bed apartment (825 -1231 Sq.Ft), starting at the price of Rs. 40.3 Lacs to 75 Lacs with possession in September 2015. The claim was not substantiated.
3. Aims Max Gardenia Developers Pvt Ltd (Glory 46): The advertisement of Glory 46 claims “Possession starting within three months” which was false.
4. Mahindra Retail Pvt. Ltd (Mom & Me): The advertisement of Mom & Me claims “Interest free EMI” which is misleading by omission, as the EMI scheme was not free since interest was to be paid after six months, which was not mentioned in the advertisement.
5. Jothe Jotheyali: The advertisement visual shows “a man walking with burning crackers in his hand”, shows a dangerous practice, manifests a disregard for safety and encourages negligence.
6. Hopewell Tableware Pvt Ltd (Larah Dinnerware) – The advertisement of Larah Dinnerware claims to be the strongest opal ware and it is the first choice of vegetarians, which is not proven.
7. JK Cements Ltd (JK Wall Putty): The advertisement of JK Wall Putty claims "seelan mein bhi papdee ka koi chance nahin” was not substantiated with technical evidence.
8. Pioneer Book Co P Ltd (Meri Saheli): The advertisement of Meri Saheli claims that it has 109,000 “Loyal Readers”, Grihshobha, has been mentioned as having 0, 00,000 (nil) “Loyal Readers” which is false.
9. Virola Shoes Pvt. Ltd. (Alberto Torresi): The advertisement of Alberto Torresi shows a visual of “a man's foot with a shoe worn and shown in between the legs of a woman” which is vulgar and is demeaning to women, which is likely to cause grave offence.
10. Videocon Industries Ltd (Videocon Split A/C): The advertisement claims to offer zero percent interest and zero process fee by Bajaj Finance - just pay Rs. 2014 and the balance in equal EMIs. This is misleading as the processing fee is not zero as the complainant had to pay the extra processing charges during the purchase of the product.
11. Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance Company Ltd (Bajaj Allianz): The advertisement claims to provide value added services such as 24x7 spot assistance, key and lock replacement cover along with the policy, fastest claims servicing through their 24 x7 call centre. The advertisement claims “3400+ numbers of garages across the country”. It also claims to offer battery, fuel, spare keys assistance flat tyres, minor repairs and towing. They further claim to provide “Legal Advice and Medical Coordination”, “Message Service and Taxi Benefits Accommodation Benefits” and “Additional savings of upto 30% on medicines, eye care, dental care and many more outlets.” These claims were not substantiated.
1. Nissan Motor India Pvt. Ltd (Datsun Go): The advertisement of Datsun Go claims of “Rs. 4000 insurance support”, was not substantiated and was misleading by ambiguity.
2. Renault India Private Limited (Renault): This advertisement of Renault claims of “free insurance” which is misleading as the advertisement does not mention a discount in lieu of insurance.
FOOD and BEVERAGES
1. Coca-Cola India Inc (Coca Cola): The advertisement of Coca Cola states that it contains no fruit juice, etc. This mandatory audio in the radio spot was played too fast and was not comprehensible. The radio spot contravened the ASCI Guidelines on Supers.
2. SABMiller India Ltd. (Miller Ace Non- Alcoholic Malt Beverage): The advertisement shows the Miller Ace bottle which is a look-alike to the Miller Beer bottle. The colour of the liquid in Miller Ace also suggests beer. The aadvertiser did not provide the annual market sales data of the product advertised. Thus it was concluded that the advertisement was a surrogate advertisement for a promotion of a liquor product – Miller Beer.
3. Haldiram Foods International Pvt Ltd (Haldiram Prabhuji): This advertisement of Haldiram Prabhuji claims to offer “any 2 packs of mixtures/ bhujia are available for Rs. 100/-”, which in the absence of any disclaimers, was found to be misleading.