Everything You Need To Know About Google Stories and AMP Stories
Authored by Raj Thevar, Team Lead – SEO, BC Web Wise
With 500 million users using Instagram Stories everyday, it is of no surprise that other social media platforms have joined the bandwagon. This includes Google as well! Stories have become more and more popular and have shown no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
Google Stories or web stories are a web-based version of the popular “Stories” format that is a mix of video, audio, images, animation and text. This makes for a dynamic consumption experience.
These stories can appear anywhere across Search, Google Discover, and Google Imagines.
The benefit of Google Stories is that it lets the user explore content at their own pace by tapping through, swiping from one piece to the next. Other advantages include boosting search engine optimisation, improved user experience, and enhanced server performance.
What are AMP Stories?
Along similar lines to Google Stories, AMP Stories were launched which are a mobile focused format that delivers news and information as visually rich, tap-through stories.
In short, AMP Stories are a new, creative and visually rich way of storytelling.
While this seems to follow the footsteps of Snapchat, Instagram, and Facebook, the advantage AMP Stories enjoys is being backed by the world’s go-to search engine.
How AMP Stories and SEO boost your traffic from mobile
● More than 60 percent of Google organic search traffic is coming from mobile devices. More people are searching from their mobile than from their desktop
● Google SERP (Search Engine Results Pages) features AMP Stories
● During the last AMPConf in Tokyo, Google announced that the stories would have a prominent place on Google Search for Mobile under a section called “Visual Stories.
● AMP Stories (and any AMP websites) are also promoted in Google Search Image
● You can find more AMP Stories in Google Discover
How to rank first on Google with AMP Stories
● Develop evergreen content for AMP Stories: Stories which will be relevant even after a considerable amount of time has passed will be best for AMP Stories
● Link performing web pages and stories: Backlinking and interlinking web pages and stories with high ranks also helps in ensuring that your content is shown on Google’s AMP Stories
● An excellent user experience is key: And finally, if your content proves to be of high recall to the user, chances are they will come back for it. Google will also push the content that people are most interested in.
If your business requires you to dabble in content marketing, and you are looking for a way to make headlines then indulging in AMP Stories of your own is the best way to go!