Godrej & Boyce celebrates #124YearsofMakingforIndia
Godrej & Boyce, the flagship company of the Godrej Group, today marked the beginning of their 125th glorious year with the launch of #124YearsofMakingforIndia campaign to showcase how the company has been dedicated to building a better India ever since its foundation in 1897. The newly launched campaign aims to inspire netizens with some of the lesser known facts about the brand’s legacy that has been meticulously built over the years through various innovative products and services that it has provided.
Since its inception, Godrej & Boyce has demonstrated continuous commitment towards customer centricity, technological innovation, environmental sustainability and community development. The campaign shares interesting trivia that celebrates their workforce for always being in the frontline for the nation. Did you know that the Godrej & Boyce engineers that built the Vikas engine for ISRO launches are also the ones to build solenoid valves for ventilators to help the Covid infected patients in India?
From conserving hundreds of acres of mangroves to making recycled concrete to empowering over 150,000 youth with the skills to shape tomorrow’s world to most recently serving people during the healthcare crisis, the company has been displaying its commitment towards national priorities. The campaign, active across all of Godrej & Boyce’s social media platforms, uncovers snippets of the brand’s trivias, hosts online contests and extends its support to internal employees that have been affected by the pandemic.
Some of Godrej & Boyce’s contributions over the last 124 years.
- In 1908, Godrej made the world’s first springless lever lock and Pirojsha Godrej applied for a patent. A century later, Godrej locks continue to be a hotselling item - over a million locks are sold every year
- In 1923, Godrej started manufacturing steel cupboard. Till date, Godrej has more than I million cupboards have been sold and it has become India’s most beloved pieces of furniture
- Since 1985, Godrej Aerospace has increasingly been entrusted with work from ISRO, especially for complex equipment such as liquid propulsion engines for PSLV and GSLV rockets, thrusters for satellites and antenna systems. Chandrayaan was Godrej’s first successful space project
- The team working on Mangalyaan designed and fabricated components that had to take into account the unique parameters for space flight
- Godrej Aerospace delivered the first airframe assembly for the Air Launched version of the BrahMos Missile. They had won the order for 100 sets of airframes for the air launched missile in December ’17
- Godrej Aerospace launched a ‘Centre of Excellence’ to strengthen foothold in the Aerospace sector. They expanded partnership with Rolls-Royce with INR 2000 million contract spread over five years and invested INR 500 million into the new facility
- Godrej Aerospace received DRDO’s prestigious Defence Technology Absorption Award 2017 in recognition of their outstanding contribution towards establishing complex technologies and on-time delivery of the Power Take Off (PTO) shafts
- Godrej partnered with ISRO to make Chandrayaan-2, India’s second mission to the Moon a grand success
- Godrej & Boyce joined the global EP100 initiative and pledged to double its energy productivity and implement an energy management system (EnMS) by 2030. The company also aiming at reducing the carbon intensity of its operations by 60% by the year 2030.
- Godrej Construction has been active in the preservation of the Vikhroli mangroves since 1974, Mumbai’s second largest ‘green lung’, 2.5 times larger than Central Park, NYC.
- G&B campus in Vikhroli has already achieved the goal of Zero non-hazardous waste to landfill. It does not send any non-hazardous waste to landfills as it’s all recycled.
Innovations in response to Covid 19
- Godrej Aerospace has developed and delivered 5000 proportional solenoid valves, a critical component in ventilators used to regulate air flow to Covid 19 patients.
- Ventilators being critical to saving lives, our business Godrej Lawkim, through their calibration services calibrated ventilators to ensure their reading, result and functionality is always accurate at the time of use on patients.
- With the storage and transport of the life-saving Covid vaccines being a concern, Godrej Appliances launched the ultra-low-temperature freezers (below -80 °C) with an aim to strengthen Vaccine Cold Chain till the last mile, for India and the World. Here’s a video on this initiative. It has added the state of art ultra-low temperature freezers to its portfolio, strengthening the vaccine cold chain further. These advanced medical freezers can preserve life-saving medical supplies including critical vaccines below -80°C and are aimed at boosting both Indian and global medical cold chain. The ultra-low temperature freezers are particularly suited to mRNA based vaccines which are being deployed in other countries currently. Recently the units of vaccines refrigerators and medical freezers were donated to the various hospitals in, Chennai, Khandala and Vadodara.
- Currently, Godrej Appliances is deploying vaccine refrigerators which maintain a precise temperature of 2° to 8°C to store the highly temperature sensitive Covaxin and CoviShield vaccines being administered in India, as part of the national tender it received in October 2020. Medical Freezers which maintain -20°C are also being deployed for diluents and ice packs needed for the last mile delivery in the Covid vaccination drive.
- Safety of food and day-to-day items was a huge concern given the virus also transmitted through surfaces. Godrej launched 2 UV-C based products namely - Viroshield by Godrej Appliances which is used to disinfect fruits and veggies and UV Case by Godrej Security Solutions to disinfect items such as your keys, wallet and mobile phones.
- Over 100 million vaccine doses lifted and shifted by Godrej Material Handling forklift trucks
- Godrej Security Solutions launched the Vigi-Guard turnstile with sanitizer dispenser and the Dual Sensor Thermal Camera for elevated body temperature screening will help India adapt to the new normal in ensuring health security.
- With industries such as ecommerce constantly on the move to keep our homes stocked with supplies, Godrej Storage Solutions introduced a range of solutions to ensure warehouse safety. These include Godrej MIST – Sanitisation trolley for warehouses, SAFESTEP – Sanitiser dispenser integratable with Uprights in a racking system, Godrej STERILIGHT – UV Disinfection conveyor, Uni directional gate – To prevent two-way traffic in multi-tier racking and ensuring social distancing.
- With a view to help bridge the gap of beds, Godrej Interio opened country wide plants amid the first lockdown and quickly upscaled production to manufacture over 9000 hospital beds. The business also provided mattresses to the hospitals