IPL 2020: Full of swagger & talent, will it be RCB’s year this time?
Dhoni’s boys, Delhi Capitals and Kohli’s RCB have progressed to the next round in the IPL 2020 tournament. The opening match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings, the second match in the tournament this year between Delhi Capitals and Kings 11 Punjab garnered viewerships of 78 lakh and 50 lakh, respectively, on Disney+ Hotstar, respectively.
The third match between Royal Challengers Bangalore and Sun Risers Hyderabad was equally exciting, with the former winning by 10 runs. RCB has been one of the most exciting teams in the IPL franchise and has always managed to bag the best players in the business, however, the Cup glory has eluded the RCB in 12 years of the tournament’s existence. Will the 13th season change the game for Virat Kohli and his boys? We will know in about a month-and-a-half's time.
The first live sports tournament for India in several months, IPL 2020 has seen enthusiastic interest and participation of advertisers, including digital brands like Okcredit, Dream11, Paytm and Cred.
Looking back at RCB’s performance in the IPL, we found some interesting facts about the IPL franchise team:
- RCB holds the record for the highest and the lowest scores in IPL history. In 2013, RCB put up a score of 263/5 against Pune Warriors, where Chris Gayle scored a massive 175 runs. However, exactly 4 years later, RCB slumped to a meagre 49 all out against Kolkata Knight Riders at Eden Garden, setting a record no team would want to be associated with – the lowest ever total in IPL history.
- RCB skipper Virat Kohli is the highest paid IPL player. In 2018, RCB retained Kohli at the IPL auction for a whopping Rs 17 crore.
- RCB holds the record for the most IPL centuries by any team. Out of the 13 centuries scored by IPL players, 5 of them were scored by Chris Gayle.
- RCB also tops the charts with most number of sixes by any team, with a grand total of 1,131.
- Talking about Virat Kohli again, the RCB skipper also holds the record for the most runs scored by any player in an IPL season. Kohli holds this record with the 973 runs he scored in 2016.
- Another interesting record is that RCB has scored the most 200+ team totals. The team holds this record as they managed to cross the 200-mark 10 times in their history.
- RCB also holds the record for the most 200+ partnerships by any team, with a grand total of 4. This only shows how important some of their partnerships have been for them.
- RCB’s Chris Gayle holds the record for the fastest IPL century, with 175 runs off 66 balls. He scored the century in just 30 balls.
These stats clearly show how entertaining the team has been in the IPL and the reason for their massive fan base.
With the stats in their favour, RCB has been leveraging these stats through various social media posts to whip up IPL fervour among their fans. They also live tweets during the matches to keep their fans up to date. Apart from this, they have also arranged various social media interactions with their fans, who they call the ‘12th Man Army’.
RCB also chose to empower and highlight the real heroes during COVID-19 times. While communicating this on social media and various media interactions, the team jersey also features ‘My COVID Heroes’ as they pay tributes to the COVID heroes.
Bold is Fit DRS (Diet Review System)— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 21, 2020
It's a spicy clash as Royal Challengers Bangalore kick off the Dream11 IPL campaign against Sunrisers Hyderabad.
How about celebrating the occasion with a Biryani Battle! #PlayBold #IPL2020 #BoldIsFit #GetRCBFit pic.twitter.com/clISFTtS15
My Covid Heroes: Over the past few days we’ve been bringing stories of Real Challengers who’ve inspired us. To pay homage to every Covid Hero out there, RCB has decided to sport ‘My Covid Heroes’ jersey throughout the Dream 11 IPL#PlayBold #IPL2020 #WeAreChallengers #Dream11IPL pic.twitter.com/y7Xbs69cQ1— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 21, 2020
Listen up, 12th Man Army!— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 21, 2020
We’re going into a LIVE huddle every Match Day with @navkrish55 and select fans from various fan groups to talk about all things RCB!
Tune into the RCB Official App at 7:05 PM today. #PlayBold #IPL2020 #WeAreChallengers #Dream11IPL pic.twitter.com/iOwj9Lt08D
RCB has also managed to get some massive sponsors on board for this season of IPL. With Muthoot Fincorp as title sponsors, their principle partners include Myntra, Jio and DP World. Their other sponsors include EUME, Milo, MakeMyTrip, Kingfisher, Lifebuoy, MPL and Max Life Insurance.
We welcome @NestleMILOIndia as an Official Partner. Get ready to #RoarForCricket with #MiloEnergy for this year’s biggest cricket extravaganza!#PlayBold #IPL2020 #WeAreChallengers #Dream11IPL pic.twitter.com/JLULMXNneO— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 20, 2020
Cricket without Mr Nags is like ting without its tong. Now let your #MoodTingTong with Insider stories of your favourite cricket team. #PlayBold #MoodTingTongwithRCB #Centerfruit #RCBInsider #MrNags#RCB pic.twitter.com/djQ0d3mNWR— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 19, 2020
We’re all pumped for the #Dream11IPL. Special thanks to our Title Sponsor @MuthootIndia for partnering with us in bringing back joy to millions of RCB fans. #PlayBold #WeAreChallengers #RestartIndia pic.twitter.com/9sxg91s2Nl— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 18, 2020
We’re proud to announce @DP_World as our Global Logistics Partner. They have been providing the team with valuable support, helping us move our kit & equipment from our home in Bengaluru, as we get ready for our next challenge in the UAE.— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) September 14, 2020
#PlayBold #IPL2020 #WeAreChallengers pic.twitter.com/uVe8ldlh68
While RCB has never won the IPL before, they are definitely one of the favourites to win the tournament this year.