No one exactly knows how to crack digital: Industry leaders at Ad Club’s D-CODE
Leaders of Indian media, marketing and advertising industry gathered together at The Advertising Club’s maiden edition of D-CODE: The Annual Digital Review 2018 in Mumbai last evening (August 1, 2018). The panel asked its members to share an example of their own work, one work they admired and 3 learnings they would want to share with the audience.
On the stage were Ajit Mohan, CEO, Hotstar; Anupriya Acharya, CEO, Publicis Media; Anuradha Aggarwal, CMO, Marico; Arun Iyer, Chairman & CCO, Lowe Lintas; Juhi Kalia, Head of India & Anthology APAC for Creative Shop, Facebook; Rahul Johri, CEO, BCCI; Mohit Kapoor, VP - Advertising, Reliance JIO; Sam Singh, CEO - South Asia, GroupM; Sapna Chadha, Head of Marketing, India and SEA, Google; Siddharth Banerjee, EVP - Marketing, Vodafone; and Tanmay Bhat, Co-Founder, AIB.
Vikram Sakhuja, President, The Advertising Club, commented, “The Advertising Club has been at the forefront of driving the A&M industry’s excellence agenda. We are constantly creating forums that enhance the learning curve of the fraternity. With D-CODE we have created another engaging property that bring together the industry to debate and deliberate on the stimulating issues of the digital ecosystem.”
Aditya Swamy, Managing Committee Member, The Advertising Club, remarked, “I have always believed in the power of colabs. Inspire and be inspired was the theme of D-CODE and bringing together key stakeholders across the industry to crack the digital code was an exciting idea. From my days at MTV where we looked to marry pop culture and brands to now at Google where we unlock the power of digital and tech to deliver value to advertisers, this is a journey that only throws up more and more interesting opportunities. I look forward to being in the center of this equation as we build centers of excellence.”
Punitha Arumugam, Managing Committee Member, The Advertising Club, added here, “Our endeavour while curating D-CODE was to create a platform that would showcase pioneering work on Digital and facilitate ideas exchange within the fraternity. We have tried to bring representation of all facets of digital with the versatile panel of stalwarts from across the M&E industry.”
The five key learnings that the advertising, digital and marketing mavens agreed upon were:
- Digital is a medium that everyone is experimenting with and no one exactly knows how to ‘crack-it’. The need of the hour is to approach it with an open mind, keep experimenting and learning from one’s own and each other’s strategies.
- Digital as a medium does not exist in a silo. All that media needs are great ideas, beautiful craft and creative people who can utilise the right tools to gain success.
- One needs to invest in the right marketing technology, tools, talent and partnerships.
- To execute successful digital campaigns, one needs to fully leverage digital signals, customise messaging, employ data and have performance oriented goals.
- Partnerships are critical in making digital campaigns effective. Scale for both a campaign and digital as a medium of marketing can be amplified when the power of partnerships is harnessed.
- With a galaxy of the who’s who of the media, advertising and digital industries in attendance, the debut edition of D-CODE was off to a fantastic beginning.