Ramnath Goenka Awards for Excellence in Journalism 2017: Winner’s List
The 12th edition of the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards were held in the Capital on December 20, 2017. Vice-president M Venkaiah Naidu, who was the chief guest at the function, handed over the awards to 27 winners – in 25 categories, including print and broadcast – for outstanding work done in 2016.
“These awards, instituted in the name of such a doyen of freedom of speech and expression, have rightly emerged as the most coveted journalism awards in the country. Ramnath Goenka embodied the finest qualities of journalism of courage and commitment: fierce independence, relentless pursuit of facts, robust determination to withstand pressures, to constantly ask questions and to uphold the principles of freedom of expression in the face of every challenge. These attributes also constitute the highest principles of citizenship and are necessary for strengthening our democracy,” the Vice-President said in his address.
Reflecting on the responsibility of the media, Naidu said, “In my view, the media's role should be the empowerment of people through information, social mobilisation, building partnerships, catalysing individual and collective actions for betterment of lives and promoting peace and harmony, and supporting national reconstruction. Every news report should result in enhanced level of understanding and inspire action.”
An eminent jury, including former Supreme Court judge B N Srikrishna, HDFC Ltd chairman Deepak Parekh, former chief election commissioner S Y Quraishi and senior journalist Pamela Philipose, chose the winners from over 800 entries that came from all parts of the country, many of them in regional languages.
In the past, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley, former President APJ Abdul Kalam, former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan, former vice president Hamid Ansari, former president Pratibha Patil and former chief justice of India P Sathasivam have been chief guests at the awards.
The Express Group instituted the Ramnath Goenka Excellence in Journalism Awards in 2006 as part of the centenary year celebrations of its founder, Ramnath Goenka. Over the years, the awards have become the gold standard of journalism honours in India, the ultimate recognition that every outstanding journalist working in the country searches for today. The awards, which come with a trophy and a reward of Rs 1 lakh to each of the winners, aim to celebrate excellence in journalism, recognise courage and commitment and showcase the outstanding contributions of journalists from across the country.
Attached is a press release and photograph along with the list of the winners for your perusal. Please let us know in case you need more details.
Below is the entire list of the winners in both Print and Broadcast categories:
1) Reporting From J&K And The Northeast: Abhishek Saha, Hindustan Times
2) Hindi: Rahul Kotiyal, Satyagrah.scroll.in
3) Regional Languages: Reshma Sanjeev Shivadekar, Loksatta
4) Environmental Reporting: Jimmy philip, Deepika Daily
5) Uncovering India Invisible: S.V Rajesh, Malayala Manorama
6) Business & Economic Journalism: Utkarsh Anand, The Indian Express
7) Political Reporting: Muzamil Jaleel, The Indian Express
8) Sports Journalism: Qaiser Mohammad Ali, Outlook
9) On The Spot Reporting: Shubhajit Roy, The Indian Express
10) Investigative Reporting: Ritu Sarin, P V Iyer & Jay Mazoomdar, The Indian Express
11) Feature Writing: Sangita Barooah Pisharoty, The Wire
12) Foreign Correspondent Covering India: Ellen Barry, The New York Times
13) Commentary And Interpretative Writing: Tamal Bandyopadhyay, Mint
14) Civic Journalism: Chaitanya Marpakwar, Mumbai Mirror
15) Photo Journalism: Waseem Andrabi, Hindustan Times
1) Reporting From J&K And The Northeast: Moumita Sen, India Today
2) Hindi: Ravish Kumar, NDTV India
3) Regional Languages: Dinesh Akula, TV5 News
4) Environmental Reporting: NO WINNER
5) Uncovering India Invisible: Manogya Loiwal, TV today
6) Business & Economic Journalism: Harshada Sawant, CNBC Awaaz
7) Political Reporting: Ashish Singh, News X
8) Sports Journalism: Bipasha Mukherjea, TV Today
9) On The Spot Reporting: Ashish Sinha, India News
10) Investigative Reporting: Sreenivasan Jain, NDTV 24×7