SCREENXX 2020: Purposeful content will sell and is here to stay
The Fireside Chat on ‘Emergence of Purposeful Content’ at SCREENXX 2020, held on October 1, was a very topical and interesting discussion. The session was moderated by Rohit Ohri, Group Chairman & CEO, FCB India, in conversation with two senior leaders from the media and entertainment industry – Tarun Katial, CEO, ZEE5, and Ashvini Yardi, Producer.
Purposeful and meaningful cinema has always been applauded by the audience and the industry. But we have seen that such content is largely showcased and discussed at film festivals. With the advent of streaming platforms, content such as these are reaching audiences across the globe. Today, at the click of a button they can be watched anytime and anywhere. How interesting storytelling can help content creators make purposeful content was discussed in depth and we had the two leading experts from the industry share their views with a lot of practical examples.
Some of the highlights that emerged at the Fireside Chat were:
- Research plays an important role in knowing your audience and getting some cues.
- In the last 6 months, the mix of content and choice of content has changed. Not only that, people today value content much more.
- Even the diversity of content and choice of content has seen a shift. Storytelling is gaining over big production value films.
- Digital has provided a huge opportunity for doing purposeful storytelling that would not have been possible if it was the box office.
- Purposeful content will sell and is here to stay.
- New age storytelling is all about talking authenticity, which was truly presented in ‘Masaba Masaba’, where realism was shown.
- Human ethos gives you a sense of thinking when you do purposeful content.
- People can relate what happens in the country. So, purpose within the story works.
- OTT platform gives you that opportunity to show your talent.
- Looks like purposeful content is the new norm, especially in the OTT industry.
To catch up on the complete conversation, click on the link below: