SonyLIV witnessed 3X growth in MAUs in 2018; time spent goes up by 7X
SonyLIV has witnessed a 7X rise in total time spent on the platform, even as advertisers on the platform recorded a 3X hike in the last one year. This was revealed in the ‘State of Digital Entertainment 2018’ report by SonyLIV as the first premium Video on demand (VOD) service from Sony Pictures Networks (SPN) completes six years.
Reflecting the digital takeover that grasped India last year, this report shares detailed insights on digital video consumption, user patterns and audience demographics. Launched in 2013, SonyLIV has been a pioneer in India’s digital ecosystem introducing the audience to online content and emerging as a preferred entertainment destination.
Some key insights:
- SonyLIV has witnessed a rise of 7X in total time spent on the platform
- SonyLIV grew by 3X in terms of MAUs (monthly active users) 2018 compared to the previous year; recorded a 3X jump with 100 downloads per minute
- SonyLIV redefined sports streaming in India in 2018 by garnering 70 million viewers for FIFA 2018 followed by 30 million for India-England Series and 50 million for India-Australia series, respectively
- KBC Play Along was India’s most interactive show of 2018; recorded 8.2 million registrations and garnered a reach of 596 million interactions
- Internet users in India are estimated to reach 829 million by 2021; is set to outdo the population of G7 countries in another four years
- Non-metros reflected a higher growth rate in digital consumption as compared to the metros; Lucknow, Indore, Patna and Jaipur surfaced as major growth centers
Commenting on the findings of the report, Uday Sodhi, Business Head - Digital, Sony Pictures Networks India, said, “When SonyLIV was launched in 2013, India was gauging the possibilities of a digital takeover. This report is a reflection of the transformation that followed thereafter and SonyLIV takes pride in pioneering that change. A new generation of users are waking up to digital content and it is imperative for content creators to offer compelling stories that are relatable, relevant and genre-defying. As we complete six years, SonyLIV promises to adhere to its continuous promise of ‘We LIV to Entertain’.”