Start with mothers to build a healthy world
Life does not come with a manual, but it comes with a Mother. A mother brings you to this world, nurtures and raises you. She often forgets to take care for herself while ensuring the best for everyone around her. With Mother’s Day around the corner, let us ensure our Mother’s health and provide her a healthy and supportive environment. This Mother’s Day, let us drive the change towards a safer world where all mothers are aware and her health is never negligible.
Over the years breast cancer in women has steadily increased in India. More often than not, women shy away to get themselves checked and examined. According to reports, almost 50 percent of breast cancer patients first visit the doctor when they are in stage 3, and 15-20% of patients visit when they are in phase 4. Thereby reducing the survival rates in breast cancer. In India, one woman gets diagnosed with breast cancer every 4 minutes and one woman dies of breast cancer every 13 minutes, making it the most prevalent cancer among Indian women.
Even today, women are constantly petrified by just the thought of getting mammography tests, examining her own breasts or even confessing the slightest possible discomfort to her family. Be it your mother or any other women in your life, it’s time we initiate a conversation about keeping a check on their breast health. With the rising incidence, it becomes imperative for every woman to start recognizing the initial symptoms in their body through self-examinations. With early detection the best possible protection, lets urge women and mothers in our life to self-exam and get a mammography test at least once a year.
This Mother’s Day, Fujifilm brings to you 5 tips that you can share with your mommy to look after her health and set the seal on creating a healthier world.
- KNOW YOUR BODY BECAUSE PREVENTION IS YOUR BEST PROTECTION : Women must examine their breasts once every month especially the week after their menstrual cycle. If you have a history of cancer in your family, it is important for you to get your mammogram right. Frequently get yourself examined and keep checking your breasts for symptoms like flattening nipple, lumps, change in skin colour and checking your breasts when wet are the best ways to be aware.
- EAT RIGHT : Fill your diet with fruits and vegetables, especially broccoli and apple. Start with a nutty life and make sure you hop on the right amount of fibre every day. Don’t forget to get your everyday dose of Vitamins and Minerals too. Snack on grapes, apples, milk and green tea.
- BREASTFEED : If you are a new mommy or a soon to be mommy, make sure you breastfeed your baby. Breastfeeding helps prevent breast cancer. Women breastfeeding their babies for six to 8 months are at a lower risk of getting breast cancer.
- SHIFT TO A HEALTHY LIFESTYLE : A daily dose of exercise will help you stay fit and healthy. Getting the right amount of Vitamin D is a plus point. Walk, stand and try lifting light weights to keep moderating your hormones. Establish a good sleep routine, try getting 8 hours of sleep every day.
- GET THE HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY (HRT) : A hormone therapy helps prevent the growth of cancer that relies on hormones to grow. With the help of HRT, you can slow down or stop the growth of cancerous bacteria by blocking these hormones or changing the behaviour of a hormone receptor.
With these 5 expert tips, you can ensure to fight breast cancer and win in life. This 9th May, let us not only commemorate Mother’s Day but also corroborate a healthy lifestyle and environment for the ones who gave us life. Remind your mom to prioritize her health and create an environment where they don’t shy away from addressing their health concerns.