Brands advertising on TV up 10% in Week 17, with 395 new brands coming into play
TV viewership continues to be on the upswing in Week 17. As per the 7th edition of BARC-Nielsen’s report on ‘Crisis Consumption on TV and Smartphones’, total TV consumption increased by 29 per cent in Week 17, with consumption remaining stable in HSM. News and Movies genres continue to drive growth in Week 17. Though the genre-wise share of News and Movies has started to stabilise, they continue to operate at higher levels.
Brands are seen gradually returning to TV, with Week 17 witnessing a 10 per cent increase in the count of brands which advertised on television at 2,138. This week also saw an upswing of 53 per cent with 395 new brands/ variants. However, their contribution to overall weekly FCT was a mere 3 per cent.
- Total TV viewership grew over the Pre-COVID period by 29% & the week recorded 1.14 Trillion Viewing Minutes
- News & Movies continued to drive the growth for TV
- Mythological shows witnessed a huge increase across GECs – the re-runs of classics like Mahabharata and Ramayana on other channels continue to attract significant viewers and helped the channels increase the slot viewership.
- Retro music on TV seems to be playing more, with the 41+yr olds increasing time spent on music
- 10% increase in the count of brands advertising on Television, with 395 new brands coming into play
- Internet Penetration in India is now at 40%, with 504 Mn Active Internet Users (5+yrs)
- Time spent on Smartphone increased by 16% versus Pre Covid, the highest usage since the COVID-19lockdown - resulted in 18.7 Bn minutes on the smartphone/day in the recent week.
- Gaming, Education Apps, Social Networking continue their trailblazing increase